Thursday, June 16, 2005

Zapping a Frozen Burritto (July Manners)

Sneak Preview & Hey, the Source is online, kids -
http://www.iowasource.com (you can check out my columns under Advice & Manners and one or two of my freelance pieces if you snoop around, ).

Dear Meg,

Do you know that you have the same name as a famous rock star? You look a lot older than her but I wonder if anybody ever gets you mixed up with her? Are there any manners for that if it happens? She's really cool and you seem like you know about some good music and even tattoos and stuff. I have a big crush on her ex-husband and band partner, Jack White, and I think Meg and I could be good friends. What do you think about all this?

Mira

Dear Mira,

I do know about my White Stripes namesake. I'm even a fan. I'm afraid I must point out to you, however that as I am “a lot older” than the beat-keeping Meg, technically it is she who has the same name as me, not the other way around. Sorry if I sound a wee bit peckish on this issue. I do adore the former Mrs. Jack but I will admit to a silly, petty resentment toward her. She has made me virtually ungoogleable. It's ridiculous, but I miss the days when I had a bit more virtual cache. Thank Goddess for therapy.> > >

As to whether there is any etiquette involved in the same-name-as-a-real-celebrity twilight zone, I've never come across anything official. I've been asked this question a number of times. My strategy has been to wing it and have fun. I've teased a few people into believing I was rock star Meg and some have just mistaken me for her because of the name. Obviously, these unfortunate teasees, confused fellows and gallows were in desperate need of corrective eyesurgery or a subscription to New Music Express. > >

Thank you for thinking I seem cool for an old gal. Not all of us in the over forty crowd are as unhip as we seem. Email again I'll be happy to get together, share a few stories and maybe play some records. In the brazen arrogance of my own youth, I once told off Iggy Pop who coincidentally appears in Meg and Jack's film debut, Coffee and Cigarettes. In case you were wondering, this was very bad behavior (i.e. manners) on my part and not something I am proud of. Lucky for me he wasn't exactly conscious at the time.> >

On your Jack question, I would issue tremendous caution, especially since he recently got remarried. As a general rule, married men make bad boyfriends and these famous glam-boys can be a kick for a while but> ultimately you stand an above average risk of being hurt or humiliated. I would hate to see that happen. I wouldn't doubt that you and Meg might make great pals although she appears to be rather busy these days. Dare to dream on this, just keep your expectations in check, okay? It looks like the tour for the new record, Get Behind Me Satan, will be bringing them through Chicago, August 29 -31. It's really not that difficult to meet these people if you set your mind to it or have what I call star-karma. Just be careful. Sex, drugs and rock 'n'roll is pretty much exactly what it says it is and it's nothing to romanticize, I promise. Thanks for writing, sweetie.

Dear Meg,

My husband and I are going to Europe this August and we are having a friend of my secretary's housesit for us, take care of our cats and do yard work. I'm going to pay him so I don't think we should leave any food or other living supplies. My husband disagrees. Who's right here. We've got a platter of Sashimi riding on this.

Mary Sue

Dear Mary Sue,

Tell your husband to put his wallet away and his gloat cap on. Good form dictates that you treat the person caring for your home and pets almost as well as you'd treat any other guest. Find out what this guy likes to eat and have plenty on hand. Leave appropriate reading material out for him. Cash for emergencies, etc. Also, leave clear and precise instructions, contact information for when the unavoidable mishaps occur and identifying post-it notes on your remote contol collection. You don' t want to return to your beloved abode only to discover your microwave is somehow downloading audio blog bits and your LS48VideoStage 5 is zapping a frozen burrito. It's been known to happen. Have a good trip.

No comments: