Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Mongolia, Moss & Cool Guys

Okay, that thing I said about the use of the word "florid" yesterday was not very kind. I was having a bad day. What was I thinking about being so happy about Fall. Now winter is here and it's gray and cold and my apartment if about 58 degrees and, well, yuck!

Now that that's over with, here's a leedle quiz --- let's say you are a very, very unpopular world leader and nobody on the planet much cares for you, esp. your own people, where would you go to attempt to receive a moderately enthusiastic welcome?

Hint. It starts with an "M" and ends with an "A" and no leader of this particular unpopular leader's own country has ever visited M thru A before.

I guess you already heard about this, didn't you? Poor Dubya went to Mongolia. Oh well. Once I did have this psychic-astrologer tell me I HAD a terrific meridian that ran through the center of Monogolia and might consider moving there. I told a friend this and she said she thought it was a great idea. She could see me as that woman Karen Allen played in the first "Indiana Jones" flick - drinking all the boys under the table, bluffing them at cards, being a real bad ass.

When that comment was made to me I was a few years younger than Kate Moss is now. I glanced at the new issue of Vanity Fair last night. Jeez, it was freaky. There is one photo of her wearing this really short one piece cotton dress w/ a big, brass hip belt and a pair of leather strap-ankle sandals that are identical to the ones I used to wear in this identical get up. Pardon my hubris for comparing myself to such a gorgeous woman, BTW, although I will say I did have my day.

Anyway, I was so thin and so bold. I was a party girl and having a friend compare me to Karen Allen's role in IJ was a pretty fair assessment. Jeez, I hope Kate got something out of rehab and I really hope she gets over her penchant for bad boys. Hey, Kate, you know what? Winona Ryder had a great line in "Heathers" at the very end there when she told Christian Slater off right before he blew up the school, she said, "I want cool guys like you out of my life."

Being cool is a fine thing, of course, depending upon the context and what you mean by word.

No comments: