Thursday, December 02, 2004

May Cause Deterioration

from the December issue of the American Journal of Public Health:

"Unemployment," they write, "may cause a deterioration of economic situation, downgrading of social status, broken social relations, changed risk behaviors, impaired psychological well-being, and depression, consequences that may develop into severe illness."

I wish I could have gotten into that study, maybe they were paying the participants. I keep trying to put a positive spin on shit it's HARD.

Congrats to the Met for refusing to charge make people pay $30 to see King Tut's old stuff. Can't say I blame any Middle Eastern County for wanting to make Americans pay for such things either.

Oh my.

3 comments:

Cattiva said...

OK -two things:

1) About the quote - Ya think?

and 2) About your last paragraph. Um, I'm hoping that's that good old Meg sense of humor that I love so much. Oh my indeed!

;)

Me said...

Hmm... well, if they had paid the participants in their study, then they wouldn't have really been unemployed. However, a surprise 'bonus' at the end would have been acceptable...

As for the Met v. King Tut. I could make an argument for both sides, I suppose, but as an ex-archaeologist, I have to side with Egypt wanting to make some cashola out of the deal in order to preserve the pyramids at Giza, the Sphinx, et al. But I guess you really can't squeeze blood out of a stone, eh?

Cattiva said...

You've been a busy bee lately, huh? Come back! You are missed!