Wednesday, November 24, 2004

It's That Other Meg White, Again

I was just at the Coop with my friend Franklin who told a women in the car next to him he was waiting for "Meg White". She mentioned to him she knew another Meg White who was from Detroit and told me this as I was getting into the car. I said, "Oh, you mean my little rock star twin?" She replied in the affirmative. I proceeded to inform her that Meg and were both Sagitarrians and had recovered from deadbeat boys named Jack White. She was amazed and said I should contact Rock Star Meg because she had lived with them in the Motor City. She confirmed that Jack the rock star was an asshole -- very charming and handsome but a jerk. Unfortunately, Franklin zipped away before I could get any contact info from the woman. Hopefully, I will see her again. What a quintessential Iowa City moment.

In other "it's all about me" news. The sweet folks at DeLuxe Bakery (812 S. Summit) treated me to a fine lunch and I finally picked up my new, upgraded (age is hell) free glasses at Alberhasky Eye Clinic (courtesy of the Lion's Club and Free Medical Clinic). There is much to be grateful for this year... for one, I can see again. Oh the things I have probably missed. Case in point, as I was walking downtown I spotted a bicycle wrapped in a garland of flowers and leaves. Way cool and oh so beautiful.

I can't wait to finally meet that other Meg whose is really a Megan. I realize there are thousands upon thousands of thusly named lasses in the world and many of us were born between November 22 -December 22 (or is that the 21st?) and suffered at the hands of JW's or other charming, ne'er-do-well men. If the rumors are true, her Jack changed his last name to hers, anyway. In my case it was simply a coincidence. I was born with this name and will die with it unless I change it for "artistic" reasons. Anywho, I do feel somewhat of a kinship with my young chick drummer rock star twin. I feel kind of maternal towards her. This is, of course, when I am not bearing her a small resentment because she has made me almost completely ungoogle-able.

Another lesson in humility. Did I mention something earlier about being grateful? BTW, does anyone get that "shameless self-promotion" is a joke? Cheerio, boys and girls.

1 comment:

Cattiva said...

I was wondering how many people google Meg White and end up here thinking she has a blog :)