Friday, June 17, 2005

18 Hours Later

Oprah Winfrey who tops Forbes magazine's annual list of the most powerful "celebrities" in America snubbed me once at her favorite fried chicken place at Cross Keys Market in Baltimore.

Let me almost preface this post by saying I know this because when I log on to the internet where I am house-sitting it goes directly to MSN and that's the big headline for today. Well, it's a teaser headline. I did take the bait. I clicked on the photo to see if it was Oprah, Tom Cruise or George Lucas (?) who Forbes named its uber-celeb for 2005. Gotta say, black woman, yes, a good thing in a way but this is not what any of us meant by justice, equality, mercy or liberation.

Anyway, back to the big O. She used to host a talk show called "People are Talking" which was shot in Balto. I first saw it in Charlotte (roots theme again?) where it was syndicated. I wasn't a huge fan but my dear friend, Tammy Helms, was adored the show and Oprah. Tammy was quite a girl. She grew up in Matthews (mentioned in the LA Weekly article I referenced in my last post - a tony 'burb, indeed). As for her name, state of birth and possible relatives, I take the fifth. I will tell you that once at a party Tammy crawled under a bunch of boys who started throwing punches at one another over some silly something or other in order to retrieve my cigarettes. Now that's what I call a plucky gal and a really excellent friend.

Oh yeah Winfrey and the snub. She had been a guest at a party that I had catered. I was "out on the floor" checking on things. She stopped me and complimented me on the food, we chatted a moment and I told her about Tammy and how I had called the show once in Tammy's honor with a question when I first moved to Balto. While "on air" my 10 year old sister was being yelled at by a man who our beloved but flesh-happy Llhasa Aspo, Muffin*, had biten in the elevator of a Holiday Inn. I think this was an omen. If I had not begun this post w/ the "snub" theme, this detail could be thought of as foreshadowing, I suppose.

Oprah appeared to be charmed by my story (and me) and I thought we had made quite a connection. I gave her my business card and felt certain I'd be asked to cater the show and Op and I would be hanging out, talking trash about the "B" and "C" grade guests who appeared on PAT. Making fun of her co-host, Richard Sher, a white guy with a short gray afro and the screen presence of olive loaf.

No such luck. A mere 18 hours later, I'm shopping at the little grocery at Cross Keys and stop in the deli to pick up a salad for lunch. Lo and behold, there's my new bud picking up some chicken to go. "Hi Oprah!", I greet her enthusiastically. She looks up and over her sunglasses. I swear I think I remember they were Oliver Peoples (WASP wannabe - a dead give away). All I got was a blank stare for a few seconds and then a perfunctory, "Hi, how are you?", as she turned around and hurried along her way.

There you go, that's the story of how America's most powerful celebrity snubbed me. You think she ever crawled on a beer-drenched floor to retrieve a friend's last pack of smokes? I have no idea but I kinda doubt it.

*Muffin was adopted by our family and 6 months old when we got her. She came with the corny name. None of us cared for it but knew it would have been cruel of us make her adjust to a new name, as well as, a new home and family all at once.

No comments: