Thursday, July 14, 2005

Great Pictures & The Same A Train

http://www.alecsoth.com/


I especially love the mighty Mississppi themed ones. That house boat on the ice looks quite inviting about now. I'm far too tempted today to write about wanting to throw up about the Bushes leedle tour through Rwanda or how much I miss my ex-boyfriend at the moment, so I'm sharing good art instead.

I managed to shrink down the Eggplant Essay to 800 words and be rather pleased with the results (did I mention I was working on that?). My editor liked them as well. Now I'm going to set myself to the task of making it longer again, expanding it's new focus which is sort of about focus. Writing is an odd thing, really -- you can take an old food article that was around 2000 words and in 4 days end up with a piece about death, angels, the illusion of time, mad apples, growing up and zen. Go figure.

Now that I've met two deadlines, I suppose I have no choice but to clean out my refrigerator, do my recycling and vacuum my apartment.

One question I wish to ask the eletronic ether -- how come it seems like whenever I write about someone and post it, here within a week, Terry Gross is interviewing him or her on her show?Iggy Pop today, I swear. I had no idea he was making a comeback. Does he have a new record out? I live in a sort of mass media isolation. I read a wide range of e-generated weeklies but mostly for the news and opinions. I pick up music tips from friends or movies. Anyway, sorry, talented as he may be, he's still a big stooge. Admittedly I only heard him for about 6 minutes of the show but it really seemed like enough. Perhaps, I'll give him another listen tonight at 7.

Damn, Damn, Damn, the Weekly World News (the best newspaper in america!) is swiping ideas from me too, btw. The issue this week has an inset piece about "ordinary" people who have the same name as real celebrities. Oddly, one of them was a guy named Ricky Ricardo (nice) and, again - I swear, all last month I was walking around muttering "eye-yie-yie"(sp?) to myself whenever something ran amok or was obviously ridiculous. It seems that some sneaky freelancer for the WWN is not only reading my blog and swiping my ideas but rides on the same consciousness A train that I'm a-taking as well.

None of this matters, of course, because the Moon is going to explode in 6 months creating tons of fun for all the Armageddonists. It's true, it was the cover story.

No comments: