Monday, February 05, 2007

Yet Another Blog and Rediscovered "Fish"


Well, I figured if One Ring Zero cold geek out, as they put it, and do myspace then, why not me? Truth is I've had an account with them since 2005 I've just never done anything with it. I've added a link on here to my space "space". It's kind of fun. Just about everyone is on there and catching up w/ people you haven't seen in a long time is a blast - as is friend-ing with favorite local musicians. For the most part, people on there are very nice.

Speaking of One Ring Zero, I received a nice note from Joshua Camp (one Ring and Hang the Lights)on the topic of the Coelacanth* - the name of that women's publishing collective I belonged to/co-founded in Baltimore years ago and now a reference in a Camp-penned song. The drawing Hang the Lights has on it's myspace song player of the rediscovered fish is, I think, the very one we used as our logo all those years ago. Cool. Gina Guitierrez was the groovy gal behind that find and the writer of the Coelacanth poem that inspired our name.

Well, there you go - another brush with greatness - laughing!

The Coelacanth species is closely related to the lungfish and was believed to have been extinct since the end of the Cretaceous period (this predates the dinosaurs by a little over 300 milliona years if memory serves - and it may not), until a live specimen was found off the east coast of South Africa, off the Chalumna River in 1938. Since then, they have been found in the Comoros, Sulawesi (Indonesia), Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, Madagascar, Greater St. Lucia Wetland Park in South Africa, and more recently, sister-species in Sulawesi, Indonesia, strikingly increasing the geographical distribution ascribed to this species. Coelacanth is often referred to as the "living fossil" fish.

Above photo is Coelcanth re-discoverer Marjorie Courtenay-Latimer w/ the aforementioned Chalumna River catch.

2 comments:

Maulleigh said...

I'm maulleigh on myspace too...if you wanna be friends!! Yay!

smb said...

I like to go to a singer's myspace page and listen to their songs sometimes.