Monday, May 30, 2005

If Anyone Needs to Blow Their Nose?

So here's another friend getting published and getting a rather fat grant story. You can check out Andy Douglas's "Slouch"essay at http://www.maryjournal.org . He also managed to finagle 7 grand from some place I'd never heard of but did promptly understand that my work did not meet their criteria. Hey, what else does one need to know? Joke, okay?

Check out this essay. I've not read it but I've heard him read it as it was a contribution to "the meg white experience"at Public Space One in September of 2003. That boy had all the girls swooning. He presents a little like Merwin did in his younger days - all grace and poise. Given the subject matter of this piece it was a very comprehensive experience for audience and author alike. Way to go, Andy. I have to poke fun at him a little, in that his agent's name is actually Giles. It's just too too-too. A New York agent named Giles. You gotta love it.

Re: the mwe - I'm still not entirely certain if anyone noticed I had a piece of work up at that show. Okay, that's an exaggeration. The sweet volunteer working the desk made a point to say how much she admired my piece and even that rascal, Joe P, gave it high marks. It was a subtle work and I did hang it under the name meg y , so I can't complain.

I was thinking of changing my last name to "y"at the time. Sort of a post Malcolm X, Gen X, let's make fun how much I'm not such a girly-girl (think chromosones, here) but am a rock-on, don't-mess-with-me-or-anyone-I-care-about-and-I-don't-give-a-damn- if-you-call-me-á-girl-just-don't call-me-a-bitch-if-you're-a man-or-unless-you-read-the-magazine-with-respect feminist. Anyway, this idea fell by the wayside when groovy, vegan, change the world man Matthew Steele wrote me from South America and informed me that the inventor of the Boogey Board had already stolen my idea and changed his last name to "y". Somehow that really took the winds out of my sails.

Ramble, ramble, ramble.

Things with Dr. Math are going quite well. Sometimes I have no bloody idea what he sees in me but I suspect he thinks the same thing in the other direction. He just won a big award which will be hitting the local papers the first week in June so I'll keep my big trap shut. As a result of this little coup on his part, I did get some exceptionally good chocolates from Georgetown and a stack of official "Öffice of the President of United States White House" cocktaik napkins. Dang, Judith if I'd had these on Saturday we could have used these for your party. I just received them today. Shucks.

In the meantime, if anyone needs to blow their nose?

No comments: