Friday, January 26, 2007

New Boots, Smelly Stuff & Love

I had a lovely and amazing thing happen today. I've been recovering from the rather dreary circumstance of having contracted a bit of frost bite on three toes. No real drama to that story - just the inevitable circumstance of being a pedestrian in winter in the Midwest. Well, one with apparently not so great poor circulation that is.

Anyway, I was having lunch with my friend Ann today and I mentioned this to her. I have not really told anyone about this because it seems silly and, well, a little embarrassing. Ann did the most remarkable thing - she drove us to a local department store and bought me an pair of incredible boots. They're lined with sheepskin and, my God, are they comfortable - and warm. Wearing them feels almost like walking on silk. Ann once got frost bite (it's not that difficult to do) and understands the discomfort of the healing process. I guess it will now be rather important to keep my feet warm - esp. "my left foot" for the next 3 years. She's a tremendously kind woman.

It's been quite a week in that department, actually.

On Monday I was really down and feeling spiritually bereft - among other things. Jan. 16 was my belated father's birthday and I found myself just blind-sinded with grief. I called Sandy and she decided I needed a bit of pampering so she brought over some bubble bath and lotion. It was just the ticket. Later that night she and her fiance Jerry picked me up to go out and he told me that when they first got together she took him to Younkers and forced him to pick out a cologne he liked to buy him. Sandy said her simple secret plan for helping everyone is just to give them "smelly stuff."

Oh, I almost forgot, yesterday Joan brought me cake and casserole. It's been a hard week but, man, have I been blessed with some big Love to help get me through it.

No comments: