Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Rollerskates & George Jetson Fantasies

Write it down and, SHAZAM, I'm going to have a wish fullfillment dream about it. Last night's was a beaute. Yesterday I wrote about a recent "goofball" incident and how graceless I have a tendency to be. In what has lately become my favorite past time/reality -- early this morning in the middle of a hefty cycle of REM -- I was rollerskating effortlessly under a freeway ramp (no shit - "free" "way" - it's too rich!) We are not talking rollerblades here, but the type of skates I truly love -- four wheels on each boot with a stopper on the toe. Wow, I was so happy gliding around in them there shoes.

In the later 80's, a group of groovy gal pals and I decided we wanted to start skating like kids again and we wanted our own skates circa 1959. We rummaged through thrift stores for weeks. My friends eventually found vintage skates as they had small feet. Vintage clothes are so small. I wear a size 10 (I'm 5'11" for goodness sake) so I ended up having to settle for new ones which I lucked into at a Batimore County TJ Maxx. We went to roller rinks on Sunday afternoons. I practiced in my basement and at a track around a lake about a mile from my home. I got pretty good. Dare I say I may have even been graceful? I know I certainly felt free. Ahhh....

Perhaps it's time to begin the search for a new pair of skates. I miss that feeling. I certainly didn't want to wake up this morning. When my alarm went off I heard it in dreamland first. I was unlacing my skates and sitting with one of those unidentifiable persons who show up in your dreams in order to have a body around to make a comment to every once and awhile (not unlike a bad relationship - smile), when I looked up and saw a woman falling from the sky with a mattress. I said, "OMG, that poor woman is probably going to die." The anonymous other very calmly replied, "No, it's okay. She'll be fine." And I was. I got up. Made coffee. Took a shower. Kept my George-Jetson-on-the-conveyour-belt-in-the-morning fantasies to a minimum and started to do the stuff I'd committed to do.




1 comment:

Cattiva said...

I remember those skates! Being a child of the early 80s, I remember going to the skating rink on Friday nights (in the 70s actually). Too much fun!

My whole family enjoys rollerblading, so naturally they got Mom a pair of skates. There is NO stability in those things. I sure miss those old quads.

Excellent post as usual my dear!