Sunday, April 17, 2005

I Emphasize the Word....

I was wondering today when the first blog diaries would begin to be published in print. I'm so out of that world this may already be happening and I just haven't heard a word about it. Now that I've written this, I'll no doubt start to read about things as this is what happens. There's no magic involved. When you focus on something, it's perfectly naturally to have a heightened awareness of it. This is the logic behind theories of manifestation or so-called magical thinking. This does not mean that they do not work. Quite the contrary. Think about it. Read what I've written again if you need to. Perhaps I need to do this? Perhaps, I've spent a little too little time sleeping or something (hey, it's not what you think!). My kingdom for a goodnight's sleep.

Okay, next.....

The article in today's Times about Hunter S. Thompson's last days made me feel sick to my stomach and, frankly, a little bit ashamed to call myself a writer. It's not that I don't have empathy and pity for the guy and how much he suffered. In truth, I have much more for his family and friends. What a dismal legacy of pain and grief he left.

I never cared much for his work once I passed the age of 13. I've always hated guns and violence. The most violent thing I've ever down in my life was mock hit (I emphasize the word mock) a man when we were going through a very painful break-up. Bad glam boys and their ridiculous bravado. These guys scare the beejesus out of me. That's a darn good thing. My goodness, I used to actually find it moderately attractive. I emphasize the word used.

No comments: