Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Problem With the Problem Page?

The blogger home page just cracked me up with its "problem with the problem page" notice as you log in. Is that my problem? Have I had a problem with my problem with my problem page for far too long? One can never be quite certain about these things.

I was really overjoyed last night to discover, once again, how a very small thing can make me so happy. I was getting ready to do my dishes and listening to the radio. That program from City Lights Book Store in SF came on and Wendell Berry was the featured guest. I danced a little jig in front of the sink. For any long term blog readers out there, you might recall that his poetry book on farming is almost a daily read for me and the closet thing to a bible I have. Okay, okay I have slacked up on that one a bit but the man is such a long time hero. I cannot wait to read his book of essays due out in this Fall.

In other news, I'm still pounding the 'ol job pavement but have a few interesting irons in the fire. My writing, although I think it is getting worse, seems to be liked by others. I have to stop telling people I'm unemployed. Writing is an occupation for goodness sake. Just because it does fit into the go-go paradigm of American capitalist form-over-content culture does not mean it is not a legitimate thing to be doing with one's time.

Happy to note that the Iowa Writer's Workshop has named its first non-white and female director ever to head the program. Happy to note that long time IWP professor Marilynne Robinson received the Pulizter Prize in fiction. What a great month for us girls here in the heartland.

NPR seems to be banking on its listeners having almost no ability to remember anything. On Talk of the Nation tomorrow they are actually having a show on how McDonalds has revolutionized the fast food eating culture. Good grief.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg, just caught up with you by reading your postings...keep at it. I appreciate knowing how and what you're thinking.

Just returned from Florida where I discovered a treasure map and the kids followed it to buried treasure. We must be godzillionaires now. Problem is, I'm not interested in selling the booty.

Hope all is well

Bruno