Tuesday, April 26, 2005

May Manners - Preview

been so busy i forgot to put this up earlier. don't forget to pick up the Iowa Source which is now online!!!! Eastern Iowa's Most Enlightening Magazine and it's Free


Dear Meg

Perhaps you could help me with some polite ways to say, "I don't want to answer that question." One doesn't want to just rebuke the person with "none of your beeswax" or something. The question, "why do you want to know?" has been suggested to me as an "answer". Then if they say, "just curious" you say nothing further. What do you think? Thank you very much.

B.E.

Dear B.E.,

You are correct in assuming you should not say "none of your beeswax", although under certain circumstances I've been tempted to use the phrase myself. The time a mutual party attendee asked if my black and white Norma Kamali jumpsuit meant that I was trying to impersonate Boy George springs to mind but I did take the high road. Ahhh, fashion in the early 80's.

Different people have different ideas of what is approporiate in any given situation. The most decent thing to do in an event like the one you've described is to affirm the questioner and then deflect the attention from yourself. For instance, if the individual does say "just curious", rather than remain silent you could say "thanks for your interest but I'd much rather find out more about you. " This way you don't appear cold nor do you run the risk of hurting the feelings of someone who is probably just attempting to strike up an innocent albeit awkward conversation. Being kind is always good manners, not to mention a beneficial social skill.

Thanks for writing, B.E. and have fun.

Love,

Meg


Dear Meg,

I started smoking cigarettes again. It's crazy. I know it's bad for me. All my friends, not to mention my family, are mad at me. I just can't stop. I quit 3 years ago so I know I can do it again but I'm under a lot of pressure at work and I just don't want to. How can I get all these
do-gooders off my back?

Nell

Dear Nell,

Run for the high holy hills with a couple of cartoons, a Zippo and some lighter fluid? No wait,
we don't have an abundance of high hills in Iowa and the hip thing to do these days is roll your own. If you decide you're into this for an extended period of time, you might look into growing your own. This way you could avoid patronizing the “7 dwarfs” of the corporate tobacco industry and, perhaps, while studying up on seeds, soil and climate control you could become so diverted by this new hobby, the desire for nicotine might disappear entirely.

Smoking is a hard habit to break, Nell, and it’s a behavior that affects others. It’s little wonder the people who care about you are miffed. My advice is to stop this insanity right now! Smoking damages nearly every organ in the human body, is linked to at least 10 different cancers, and accounts for an estimated 30% of all cancer deaths. In the meantime, be considerate of those around you, okay? Never light up around others before asking if it will bother them. Never exhale your smoke in the direction of another. This rule applies to animals, as well. Always deposit your “leftovers” in an appropriate container (potted plant containers don't count). If you are going to be jetting around on foot, carry along a used mint tin in your shirt, bag or pants pocket to use instead.

BTW, there has been a big revival in hookah parlor smoking (tobacco, I mean) in larger metropolitan areas. A few of these have opened in our fair state. This might be a good solution if you decide to proceed. Do check out the etiquette of such a spot first.Parlors have a culture all their own and you want to be respectful of that. Be well. No kidding.
Love,

Meg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Meg,

I am wandering if you believe in soulmates?
If you do, do you also believe that they at times meet within dreams or the spirits meet out of body as one is drifting into sleep; which makes them remember in dreams?
I know this might sound like an 'obsessed fan' Ideaologistic statement. but before I knew of the white stripes I had this dream of a girl which was fairly young but not childish. (about 15-20 approximate age) Anyway this girl made me feel whole. I have drempt of her from the time I was three always appearing the same way and the same things happened. so it was like a vision at a certain point in time I was vewing. However the dark hair, long pigtails, short bangs and lovely face has invaded my dreams often from the age 3 on and I was curious and looking because the 'vision' of this dream girl looked a bit like pauly parrot (abby from csi is all I know this actress plays as) but when I studied her face, I know she just looked like the lovely goth girl as I described from my dreams, but not her. 3 nights ago I had another dream of this girl, but this time there was a pepermint candy designed set of drums in the background in this vision and I was at a Wal-mart store looking for music yesterday when I seen for the first time a white stripes cd I live in a small town, no cable, or anything to watch for new artists. But I have internet at home and listen to raido. another thing happened I listened to a track off the elephant cd and heard a voice I never heard; yet at the same time was familure to me. So I looked for the white stripes website found it fairly easily and was shocked by looking at a black and white photo of Jack and Meg White when they was a bit young looking. And I fell off my chair looking at the face of meg in that photo. Also I hope meg really sees this I have seen a few pages where she supposed to view and write but the person I talked to was not her, but either a fan or some conglomerate type person posting things on her behalf. So meg if your really the one that does this blog site and view my blog on ardice that you don't think me as an 'insane obssed fan' cus I am not also I think You have a lovely voice. and my fav femme song is the familure voice on white stripes elephant cd. Also the words "I see you standing in a corner on the edge of a burning light." holds a segnificance in the dreams of this girl that makes me feel whole.