Monday, September 19, 2005

Once T Breaks Through

Okay, I have signed up for Michael Manning's fan club. See previous post comment and follow the link. A primary reason is the delightfully honest counter example it provides to the faux-humility master manipulator who has captured America's attention. You got it, John "shucks who ME" Roberts.

It's been hysterical to watch all the culture vulture, media slicksters I know in Iowa City line up and follow suit. All of the sudden they're so practiced in the art of humility (isn't that a Joni Mitchell line?)it's like they've had personality transplants. Well, I hear Mr. T is making a comeback. Once Roberts is no longer making headlines and T breaks through these folks will be back to their former, it's all about me selves. Personalities don't really change all that much, only actions and only after a lot of work and, for most people, a lot of time.

On a "lighter" note, I was in the Handimart near my apartment the other night and I heard a guy talking to a friend on his cellphone while he was waiting to purchase a microwavable pizza (who'd have ever thought such a thing would be possible - wouldn't it be really soggy?). I guess he was talking to a friend about going home to visit his family for the weekend. He said, "Oh it won't be so bad, I don't have a girlfriend going with me or anything, so there's no chance I'll be totally humiliated if my father pulls a knife on somebody at the dinner table."

Oh yeah, I highly recommend Chris Merrill's Things of the Hidden Gods. It's beautiful and also much funnier than I'd anticipated.

No comments: