Thursday, December 28, 2006

popsicles, ibuprofen & diet 7-Up



It never fails. I always get sick this time of year. I have what I have come to refer to as the "whoop ass flu" - a term I stole, as a matter of fact, from Mary Gaitskill's husband, Peter Trachtenberg, who used this once in an email he wrote from St. Petersburg. Right about now I'm wishing I had been even more sympathetic.

Lucky for me Laura is in town and came over with ibuprofen, popsicles (bomb pops and the mixed fruit box) and 7-up. She's doing terrific. Wyoming agrees with her, as does the oft-quoted Jim who I finally saw a few pictures of. I felt entirely pre-verbal during the bulk of her visit but managed to lie on the couch and nod while occasionally spewing out a line or three that did not relate to the almost intolerable condition of my physical state. Although last night my head hurt so badly I feared all my teeth were about to fall out and I considered the possibility that God and Satan were pulling some Job-like crap on me. I did mention this to her mostly because I knew it was nuts. She said she thought it was unlikely. I agreed and felt much better.

If I can shake this thing, I may go visit Kelly in Astoria (that's Queens, New York). She's going to Peru on Jan. 15 and giving up her apartment. I haven't been to see her in 4 years and I've got a free flight voucher. I should be out shillin' for more freelance work but maybe I can dig some up out there. Also I'd like to see some more friends, hit some galleries and maybe KGB. Kelly mentioned that Yoko still puts a full page "war is over" ad in the New York Times every year at Christmas. Boy, I remember the time Nuclear Free America received a check from her in 1986. We were all jumping up and down. Ended up photocopying the thing, tacking it up on the wall and then cashing it.

Well, I have no point to any of this. Update and whining about having the "whoop ass flu". Oh yeah and trying to find an interviewee for a freelance gig. Whosh. I though most people wanted to be in the paper. What's the deal? Must be that mid-western faux-humility. Does anybody get that shyness is really about having too much pride and ego?? If you don't understand what I mean let me know and I'll fill you in.

Stay healthy. Really. But if not, eat Happy Pops.

1 comment:

thirty six j said...

"Does anybody get that shyness is really about having too much pride and ego?? "


>>>in fact saw this listed as a narcissistic personality trait somewhere - it seems some narcissts act very shy as opposed to those who brag..
not that i believe in personality theory - but this is really true!!!!