Monday, August 23, 2004

Name This Theme

Well, I finally managed to finagle a little extra time online at public library so the hope is my posts will not be so fraught with typos and misspellings. Most folks who are not writers fail to realize that a majority of us are truly rotten spellers, often awful at grammar and copy editing one's own work is impossible, not to mention very ill-advised. Couple this with warnings popping up every 2 minutes that you are almost out of online time and you make a boatload of embarrassing mistakes. I don't have the internet at home.

I envy the computer generation who grew up learning how to "keyboard" before they were potty trained. I was a much better typist 20 years ago but these days I'm back to typing about 15 to 20 words a minute despite many a frustrating session with Mavis Beacon. God, do I need a writing group. That's an endeavors I've just given up on. How many times can you ask people if they are interested and have them not respond or say "no." It's hard not to take this stuff personally.

Anywho.... I was amused by the recent report in The Journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases that women who use hormonal contraceptives are much more likely to contract STD's and the experts are apparently baffled as to the reason for this. I have a hunch about the reason. Women who use birth control that allows them forgo barrier methods while engaging in sex are much more likely to take risks in this department and there are still a bunch of men who will whine, complain and try to get away with not using condoms because it "just don't feel natural, baby" I've never had an ounce of tolerance for these cry babies. As usual I am no doubt revealing more about myself than anyone really cares to know but with the sole exception of a 2 month period when I tried the so-called mini pill, I've always preferred condoms for birth control. All my relationships have been monogamous expect one that I know of and statistically condoms and spermicide are the most reliable method of preventing pregnancy. Not only do they pose no health risks for women, they actually decrease them. Talk about a win-win situation.

Lots of good news from friends in other places. Laura managed to finally put her MFA to good use by landing a job as a dog-walker (seriously in this economy this is great news.) Karly and Steven are expecting a baby but they aren't planning to name it after me if it's a girl. I'm naturally disappointed about this but getting on with my life as best I can. Kelly just got back from Barcelona where she enjoyed the tuna and tomato sandwiches (all she ate because they were all could afford.) She was greatly disappointed in the architecture in Barcelona, likening it to modern day Southern California which is attempting to look just like Barcelona. While Kelly and I were on the phone another former Iowa Citian we refer to as "the nucc" called and volunteered to take she and her husband out to dinner. Howard is hard at work on a new recording project. I notice one of his old compatriots, Sonia the leading lady of Disappear Fear is on the Fall lineup for CSPS. Sonia and I used to work together in a health food store in Timonium, Md., of all places.

One of my downstairs neighbors had a swell party on Saturday night. He is the co-owner of one of my favorite restaurants in town that recently got a mention in Oprah magazine. He and his wife are great. There was so much food and genuine hospitality. At the end of the night they were thanking all the guests for taking home leftovers. They throw parties the way I used to when I was more "flush" -- everyone is welcome. Just throw the doors open and let what happens happen.

Well, I guess that's it for today. Oh, I keep having the same conversation with everyone else I know who is unemployed which is how we are comforting ourselves with food and can barely get into our favorite jeans. I know there are much worse things we could be doing.

No comments: