Saturday, August 07, 2004

Recommended Late Summer Reading, Updated

Jeez, I'm reading so much I forgot half of what I'd read lately when I made this list the other day. Here's a more comprehensive list. A number of these books are out of print but that's one of reasons the great Goddess invented the internet, I suppose.

I'm eagerly awaiting the first used copy of Sore Winners by John Powers to hit Murphy-Brookfield. I've been a fan of his column in LA weekly for some time.

I'd also recommend the following books which I'm enjoying or have enjoyed recently:

Food and Loathing by Betsy Lerner
The Merry Recluse by Caroline Knapp
Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (I've read this book at least 84 times and still love it)
Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett (this one makes the list for its cluelessness alone, not too mention it's not bad in the gossip department if you're a writer)
Tender in the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
The Journalist and the Murderer by Janet Malcolm
Seven Tattoos by Peter Tractenberg
'Zine by Pagan Kennedy
It was Today by Andrei Codrescu
What Do We Know by Mary Oliver
Passwords by William Stafford (okay, anything by Stafford)
One Art by Elizabeth Bishop (oh my-- real letters-- what a lost art... indeed)
Farming by Wendell Berry ( I read this almost daily, it's the closest thing to a bible I own)




1 comment:

Me said...

Woo hoo!! A list for the next time I head to the library... which will have to be soon!