Monday, August 30, 2004

The Freedom to Sleep Late

I have to say I'm not all that impressed with the new Earle record, The Revolution Starts Now. The title song is probably the highlight. I spent the weekend embracing my inner toddler by refusing to do my laundry, rereading Jonathan Swift and being thankful for what gun control remains as the idiotic drunken frat boys screamed out incoherent nonsense night after night. I kept thinking about that Bruce Cockburn song, "If I Had a Rocket Launcher". Hell I'd be happy with a BB gun in respect to these fools. Thank goodness for earplugs and the freedom to sleep late.

Re: Swift, I was amused to read in the intro of the collection I picked up from the library that Aldous Huxley was convinced that Gulliver's Travels was entirely about Swift's obsession with his bowels. One of the more things comical aspects about being in writing workshops is sitting back listening to other people's take on what they think you were really trying to say in any given piece of fiction or poetry. I love it whenever anyone finds anything of meaning that is helpful to them.

My best from high school is in NYC with his partner protesting the RNC. We've decided if Bush is re-elected I am going to dust off my Norma Kamali, he his Williwear and we are going to sacrifice ourselves on the White House lawn. It was great to talk with him after almost 4 years. We are both basically the same. He and his partner, Jerry, just returned from Russia and then Rob (former HS bf) is off to France to scout for property in a worst case scenario for November. He promises he'll take me along. I thought what the hell -- by next spring I'll be all paid up and debt free.

Oh well, time for therapy. Always fun.

1 comment:

Me said...

France, he? That would be nice...

Are we still on for dinner Thursday? What time and where to, Mistress Meg?

And did you get your blogger invite to the Roundtable Confessinal book blog? We're trying to choose a book...