Friday, February 18, 2005

RIP Henry

I had a dream last night that I was writing a post for this blog and the harder I worked on it, the more things spiraled out of control. That's rather obvious, no?

Here is a small update on my personal life. Last week I decided to adopt a pet fish. I went with a Betta and dubbed him Henry. I struggled with that name quite a bit. At first I felt I should call him Abraham because of the symbolism of A's faith and all that but ultimately I decided to just call him Henry because I've always loved the name.

Anway, I did lots of research about how to take proper care of Bettas and fed him well, talked sweetly to him, kept his water at room temperature and clean, etc. I came home from a meeting on Wednesday night and poor Henry was dead, floating at the bottom of the bowl, puffed up like a blow fish. It was a tough blow. It might sound ridiculous to say I cried over the death of a fish I only had for a week but it's true. I grew to love Henry in 7 short days. I'm not going to give up though. The universe seems to want me to have another fish. I was heading for yet another job interview this morning and I found $5 which is just about exactly what a new betta will cost me. Thanks God.

I've toyed with the idea that Henry may have been my father. Perhaps Dad just wanted to come back and spend a few more days with me and make sure I was doing all right. When he found out I was okay, he felt comfortable leaving and continuing on with his journey. I've always believed in reincarnation and the afterlife. The mystery is part of the appeal. I doubt too much is very systematic or linear for that matter.

Well, they you go. Do you get what my dream was about now?

1 comment:

Me said...

I think I get it... but was the spiraling clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Anyhoo, I'm sorry about Henry. I hope you said some sweet farewell words before you flushed...

And: GOOD LUCK WITH THE INTERVIEWS!!