Monday, August 29, 2005

Did Moody Really Say He Hates Tomatoes?

Rick Moody cracked me up with his "This I Believe" essay on Morning Edition today. As one friend noted, his intonations were so seemingly random it was a bit kooky. Leave it to an RA to get all fired up about hating tomatoes which, BTW, are one of the only real reasons to survive the hottest dregs of summer - tomato sandwiches to be more specific. Did he really say he hated tomatoes? I don't recall him saying this.

I did find it humourous that he mentioned that Umberto Eco book which talks about the "thwarted reader" I once got thrown out of a workshop for laughing so hard at (remember, I wrote about that?). What a ridiculous term. And, HEAR! HEAR! - there is, in fact, no one right way to read a book. Although that's a rather obvious "insight", isn't it?

I'm not picking on Moody, really. I liked his essay.

Say Ms. Laura this weekend. Lots of good catching up and witty banter. It's so wonderful to see dear, old friends. Hey, Brun, she got a big kick out of that baby-sitting line too and sends prayers for your health, as well. You know you always have mine.

Well, the libray is closing down.

No comments: