Sunday, November 27, 2005

Emma's List

Okay - time to brag about my oldest niece, Emma. The surgery my mother just endured was having a metal rod put in her ankle in hopes she will one day be able to walk again. She has a long history of complications from diabetes and other illnesses that have left her dependent on wheelchairs and walkers for years. Essentially this surgery IS a positive thing albeit very physically painful for my mother.

Emma drew up a list for Mom to keep next to her bed in Rehab to serve as a reminder and inspiration for sticking to her post-op program. Just so you know, my mother has numerous dietary restrictions in addition to the ones mandated by the diabetes.

1. Keep all weight off your ankle for 8 weeks and the more shopping bags you can carry.


2. Keep all weight off your ankle and you get to go for long walks on the beach.

3. Don't eat any potassium and you get to keep your kidneys.

I guess this might not sound so wonderful to anyone else. I thought it was found poetry. From shopping to nature to keeping one's kidneys in 3 lines, genuis. I mean, if I could only keep my records clean I'd feel like one of those. Miss you, Warren Z - Don't smoke any more cigarettes and you get to keep your life? Sometimes, yes!

1 comment:

laura said...

That is a wonderful list. Go Emma! And go your mom!