Thursday, November 24, 2005

The You are Beautiful Statement

Okay, this one is as much for me as anyone out there. At the beginning of the summer I briefly dated a man who was 15 years older than me and at one point he actually told me that if he thought that if he could still attract a woman even younger than me, he'd be going for it. That's not especially helpful in the self-esteem department. One of the things I always liked about Gaitskill's husband is that he was never infatuated with younger women. Just like the men in my family. Decent. Reasonable. Hardly perfect but exceptionally loveable. Like the women and my long-time friends.

I seem to be turning into an introvert. If I'm around too many people for too long, I just get exhausted and, you know what, I am turning into a prig. Someone recently told me they were at a restaraunt and stole a burrito off some guys tray . She said she thought it was really funny but they didn't. I said I'll bet they didn't. Maybe she had no money for food. I dunno.


__________________________________________

You Are Beautiful (check out the link) is a simple, powerful statement which is incorporated into the over absorption of mass media and lifestyles that are wrapped in consumer culture.

This statement and the context in which someone finds it gives meaning to its message and purpose to this project.

The intention behind this project is to reach beyond ourselves as individuals to make a difference by creating moments of positive self realization in those who happen across the statement: You Are Beautiful.

Intention is the most important aspect of the You Are Beautiful project in its idea of purity. Graffiti and street art are an act not a style, but stylistically large corporations have been copying and using the 'urban decay' look to sell products.




It all comes down to intention. Nothing is sacred. Everything that has a perceived value becomes commodified. Companies hire out teenagers to slap up stickers and posters, and pay their fines when they are caught by the police. This is not street art, but a marketing campaign.

The reasons why street artists are doing what they are doing, in the way that they are doing, is not simply to question their surroundings; but to provide alternative perspectives, meanings, or values to those of consumerism.

Advertising elicits a response to buy, where this project elicits a response to do something. The attempt with You Are Beautiful is to create activism instead of consumerism.

You Are Beautiful uses the medium of advertising and commercialization to spread a positive message.
Projects like these make a difference in the world by catching us in the midst of daily life and creating moments of positive self realization.

No comments: