Monday, November 07, 2005

An Important Part of the Process

One of the reasons the system of "confession" seems to be working in Rwanda is, in fact, the forgivenss and encouragement of the women there. Well, that and the fact that the reward for confession is the release from prison situations so inhumane and horrifying (I've read 1st person witness accounts, for what its worth) I strongly suspect it is impossible for me or anyone reading this to even remotely really empathize with it. For Rwandan culture this is especially important. Traditionally there is a strong obediance to authority and, subsequenty, a fear of it which I would imagine might make owning up to such things as hacking to death, raping and torturing 100's of your neighbors over a period of a only a few months pretty darn difficult. Reconciliation. That's what it's called and for some it comes quickly and for some more slowly. The miracle is that it happens at all.

I imagine an important part of the process would be learnng to not be suspicious of one another.

Now that I've typed all this up, it occurs to me I haven't read much about the gaccaca process in a while. Goodness, I hope it's still working to some extent.

No comments: