Thursday, July 01, 2004

Bonfire of His Vanity

The 1980's are over despite the return of en vogue hairstyles that resemble lead vocalist Mike Score from Flock of Seagulls. Last I heard those guys were on a reunion tour. Pass. I've received a few voice messages and emails this week from a guy I dated very briefly last Fall who is jetting into town this weekend for the Jazz Festival. At the age of 48 he has decided to become a documentary filmmaker when he grows up and is here to work on a shot. He thinks despite my repeated attempts to decline his offers that I am going to put my life on hold during his visit and volunteer my time, recruit others, surrender all my hard-earned IC contacts and no doubt sleep with him while he's in town.

His method of persuasion -- say it and it will be so. Remember Shakti Gawain? Creative Visualization? Affirmations and the subsequent offspring of this hybrid of simplistic, mindless spiritual malarkey? The kind of quick fix Godsmack akin to putting a coke spoon up your nose or a needle in your arm. During this period I went to chant a few times with the Tina Turner Buddhists. One guy said he got a spot on Soul Train and a woman said it definitely worked for her because she "manifested" a brand new washer and dryer. Just like winning a prize on The Newlywed Game. Gee whiz, perhaps I should have stuck it out. I'm still trekking off to the local laundramat.

I was tempted to tell this guy go the hell. He actually told me he was glad I was willing to put "all my weekend plans on hold" and that he "expected to hear from me when he arrived at his suite at the Sheraton on Friday evening." I just wrote him back and said that professionals knew people got paid to do the things he was asking me to do and if he was in a pinch I'd work for cash. What I really wanted to do was to tell him to take a manners class. Also, as much as I am opposed to book burning, I'd suggest he throw all his 1980's new age spiritual hocus pocus books onto the bon fires of his vanity.

Does anyone out there remember when Dawkins first published his theory about the selfish gene?

1 comment:

Me said...

'And I raa-aan, I ran so far awaa-aay...' Yep, I'd run too if I had a swarm o' lice headed for what that poseur called 'hair'... looked more like a muff stuck on one of those static balls. Let's just thank baby jesus the 80's are over and we all got out with as few disturbing pictures of ourselves as possible. Ho-ly shit... what WERE we thinkin'?

But Meg, your ex sounds like a piece of work. Just give him the ol' reauchambaud and be done with it.

I think Dawkins published that in the mid 70's... bet you could find a copy of it at Northside Book Market and give it to your ex as a gesture of 'I-can-be-friendly-but-kindly-leave-me-alone'. Have a great weekend!